There are a lot of cladding materials, but almost all of them have characteristics that can hardly be called ideal. And while choosing the material for interior, which is not subjected to heavy loads and climatic influences, aesthetically pleasing appearance is the main criteria, materials for exterior application should combine durability, easy maintenance, processing and mounting, light weight, excellent appearance and affordable price. At first it may seem that such materials are in abundance, but a more detailed analysis reveals that all advantages of the material can be overshadowed by one drawback whether it is heavy weight, high price or difficult mounting, etc. The search for an ideal cladding material has become especially important now when ventilated curtain walls are so popular.
HPL panels for building's interior and exterior are almost devoid of drawbacks.
HPL panels (decorative paper-based plastic, high pressure laminate, compact laminate) are decorative panels manufactured by simultaneous pressing of layers of cellulose fiber material impregnated with thermosetting resins and specially pre-treated craft paper subjected to both pressure and heat. Polycondensation of resins takes place and results in monolythic homogeneous material with no risk of delamination in the process of use. The decorative surface of compact laminate is additionally protected by a special coating layer ensuring panels' exquisite resistance to fading.
HPL panels advantages:
|Characteristics||Test method||Tested Values||Required Values|
|Density||ISO 1183-1||1400 Kg/m3||1350±0,05 Kg/m3|
|Wear Resistance||EN 438-2-10||Initial Point - 235 Rev.||Initial Point ≥ 150 Rev.|
|Wear Value - 400 Rev.||Wear Value ≥ 350 Rev.|
|Scratch Resistance||EN 438-2-25||>4 N||Textured Surface - min.3 N|
|Impact Resistance||EN 438-2-21 (t≥6 mm, h=1800 mm, Big Ball test)||No Crack 3.5 mm||No Crack, max.10 mm|
|Resistance to Staining||EN 438-2-26:
|Level 5||Min.Level 5|
|Group 3||Level 5||Min.Level 4|
|Resistance to Water Vapor||EN 438-2-14 (Textured Surface Finish)||Level 5||Min.Level 4|
|Resistance to Boiling Water||EN 438-2-12 (t≥5mm, Textured Surface Finish)||Weight - 0,5%,
Thickness - 0,4%
|Max. 2% in Weight,
Max. 2% in Thickness
|Resistance to immersion in water 65ºC; 48 Hours||EN 438-2-15 (t≥5 mm)||Weight - 1%
|Max. 5% in weight,
Color change Min.Level 4
|Resistance to UV Light 1500 Hour||EN 438-2-28:
|Level 5||Min.Level 3|
|Appearance||Level 5||Min.Level 4|
|Resistance to Artificial Weathering 3000 Hours||EN 438-2-29:
|Level 4||Min.Level 3|
|Appearance||Level 4||Min.Level 4|
|Dimensional stability at elevated temperature (70ºC; 90% RH)||EN 438-2-17 (t≥5 mm)||Length - 0,18%
Width - 0,36%
|Length - max.0,3%
Width - max.0,6%
|Flexural Strength||EN ISO 178||114 MPa||Міn.80 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||EN ISO 178||16 522 MPa||Міn.9 000 MPa|
|Tensile Strength||EN ISO 527 - 2||85 MPa||Міn.60 МPа|
|Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion||ASTM D696-08 -30ºC to +30ºC||6.0 x 10-6 mm/mmºC||-|
|Fire grade (according to DBN V.1.1-7-2002 (Ukrainian construction norms))||-||G1, D1, RP1||-|
Due to its unique properties HPL panels are suitable for various applications:
HPL panels may be used in the most severe climatic conditions and aggressive environments. They endure temperature variations from -60ºС to +80ºС, icing and acidic rains without any consequences. HPL panels can also be called an anti-vandal material as they are impact resistant and their surface can be easily cleaned from any dirt, including graffiti.
A broad range of textures and colors is available (solids and the ones imitating natural materials (wood, stone, etc). It makes possible to implement the most daring designers' ideas. Panels thickness ranges from 1,5 to 25 mm.
Standard formats of sheets are:
HPL panels for interiors - 1300х2800, 1300х3050, 1400х3660, 1540х3050, 1540х3660 mm.
HPL panels for facades - 1300х2800, 1300х3050 mm.
More broad use of HPL panels in systems of ventilated curtain walls in Ukraine is just a matter of time, because compact laminate is definitely the material of the future. The advantages of this cladding material are obvious:
1) Large formats, rigidity and low weight ensure easy and quick mounting without engaging additional workers, using handling equipment and with no additional expenses for a complicated substructure and fastening system (as it is in case of use of ceramic granite, natural stone and fiber-cement slabs).
2) HPL panels have the highest bonding strength between the layers in comparison with other materials, that's why the panels do not chip or delaminate under impact or blows or vibrations, including the points of mechanical attachment. They are not destroyed by sudden temperature drops in the range from -60ºС to +80ºС, not influenced by wind and prevent dust formation on their surface.
3) Cassettes manufacturing and special edges processing of compact laminate are not required (it is enough to cut the material to elements of required sizes), which allows to minimize waste, save time and money.
4) HPL panels have a smooth laminated coating (nonporous, even and not rough) which is easy to clean. Mat surface guarantees absence of visual effects of curvature on the plane, characteristic of glossy panels.
5) HPL panels coating is of rich color during the whole service life due to outstanding resistance to fading and dirt.
6) HPL panels coating perfectly imitates natural materials, such as wood or stone. A broad range of decors (more than 300) makes it possible to implement almost any designer's ideas.
7) HPL panels can be mounted in any season, under any climatic conditions, unlike many facade materials with a number of restrictions.
In the systems of ventilated curtain walls HPL panels can have visible (with the help of clips or rivets) or concealed fixing (with the help of special three-component adhesive), but in both cases expansion joint is needed for thermal expansion compensation. The bore diameter should be bigger than rivet or self-tapping screw diameter for about 2 mm. It is advised to place a synthetic gasket for better fixing.
Visible fixing (with the use of rivets)
Concealed fixing (adhesive system)
Concealed fixing makes for an incredibly beautiful integral facade, which will satisfy even the most demanding clients.
HPL panels, which have unique characteristics (high strength and durability in combination with incredible appearance), are ideal for interior walls cladding (including damp rooms and rooms subjected to external influences, such as schools, hospitals, trade centers). Apart from having excellent working characteristics, HPL panels are offered in a broad variety of colors and textures, which do not change their appearance for a long time. It allows to create an incredibly stylish and practical interior even where it was extremely difficult before.
There is no need in preliminary preparation of the surface when using compact laminate for walls cladding, regardless of the type of wall material (brick, concrete, foam concrete blocks or plasterboard). HPL panels are fixed to the wall with the help of three-component adhesive, rivets or color decorative self-tapping screws sildenafil, using a very simple subsystem of metal pipes or plywood stripes (or thin HPL panels, for example of 2 mm) attached to the wall.
Apart from walls decoration, HPL panels are actively used in cubicles, lockers, doors, chairs, etc.
Please do not hesitate to contact STAB Group specialists for additional information about HPL panels application.